Monday, May 6, 2013

Alzheimer's Symposium: Making Some Changes In My Life

Two weeks ago, it became wildly apparent to me that I needed some Alzheimer's Support.  My first resource was alz.org, where I found not only a list of local support groups, but I also found information about  an all-day Alzheimer's Symposium in Temple, TX on April 30.  I immediately registered and then attended that symposium.  It was a great day, filled with a lot of information and access to a lot of resources.  For me, the best presenter was Dr. Dewayne Nash.  He's an MD who has been diagnosed with Amnestic MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment), a precursor to Alzheimer's Disease, whose mother and brother have Alzheimer's Disease.  His perspective as a doctor, a family member, and a patient was fascinating.

I asked a question about early testing and ended up being quoted in the Temple Telegram.  You can read that article here:  http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_25efcf74-b21a-11e2-98c3-001a4bcf6878.html

I learned a lot from Dr. Nash, and I will be making some changes in my life, with the hopes of delaying or not-getting-at-all a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease.  My mom has it, and her dad had it before her, so if I have the apoe4 genes, there won't be much I can do to not get the diagnosis.  But I can do some things to help myself:  keep my hypertension under control, watch my cholesterol and my weight, eat the Mediterranean diet, keep my mind active, and be happy.  Some of those things are easier than others.  I come by the hypertension "naturally" (both my mother and grandfather have/had it, and it is/was controlled only by the highest doses of medication), but I can try to reduce some of the stress in my life that lend to my high blood pressure.  Once I have recovered from my hand surgeries, I can get back in the pool and swim swim swim.  I do a pretty good job of keeping my mind active with teaching and reading.  The Mediterranean diet is going to be harder--I hate fish and I love sweets.  But I'm going to really give it "the old college try" when I get back from Ireland (so, I'll start at the beginning of June).  And, I'm working really hard on the "being happy" part, too. I've also put myself on the Alzheimer's Association's list for studies--to be in studies as a young, not-yet-diagnosed person so I can get lots of tests to use as baselines and to follow as I age.

Additionally, I started following Dr. Nash's story at his blog, organicgreendoctor.com where he chronicles how he's dealing with the disease, how he's "living life to the fullest", and how he advocates for research and a cure, etc.  It's a very informative and interesting resource.

In my quest for support, I also found the "Memory People" Facebook page where caregivers and a few patients share their stories.  It has been a huge help--there is a lot of emotional support, but also a lot of information.

So. . . I will continue to be an Alzheimer's Advocate, but I am also making some serious changes in my own life.  I don't know how I'm going to get rid of my sweet tooth and start liking fish, but I have to do it for my children!



No comments:

Post a Comment